Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Efficient or just Intelligently Lazy?

" It is more than probable that the average man could, with no injury to his health, increase his efficiency fifty percent"~ Sir Walter Scott

The other day I was reading an article about kitchens, and I can't seem to shake one idea that at first seems like a ridiculous luxury, but then starts to make alarming sense.

 In a small kitchen, to save space, they installed two dishwashers.

Yea, you're thinking exactly what I'm thinking... saving space, in fact saving of any kind does not usually come with the idea of doubling up on something.

The theory was you always have one washer with clean plates and one to be filled up with dirty.

 The epitome of laziness, I scoffed.

Not wanting to wash your dishes is one thing, we've all been there. (I have a sink full of supper dishes as I type this.) But now we're to damn lazy to put them back in a cupboard?? We have to spend another 800 bucks to avoid unloading a dishwasher??

Insane!

 Or is it??

The theory is, that you have all of your dishes in one of the two dishwashers so you don't need another cupboard to put the clean dishes in.

 As far as saving money, well, I remember building our kitchen cabinets. At $30 a door, plus the cabinet, plus hardware that can cost anywhere from $5 for the cheap stuff to $30 for the pretty stuff, not to mention the $25-$40 hinges that adjust, close quietly, hide neatly (pretty much do everything but set the table).

 It doesn't look so crazy to spend $800 on something that not only holds but also cleans your dishes, as opposed to something that simply holds them and costs $400.

And as far as it being insane, I happen to live with a man who will hand wash all of the dishes if the dishwasher is full of CLEAN dishes, because he seems to think washing by hand is less work than emptying and then refilling the dishwasher. So maybe we're the crazy ones for even owning ONE dishwasher in the first place.

Our kitchen, as it was being built, with one dishwasher too few... or one too many?



It does make you start thinking where else you could apply this theory to make life a little simpler...

Instead of buying a dresser to put my socks and underwear in, I'm going to start storing them already in my pants and shoes... then I've saved space in your bedroom, and taken my "get ready for the day" time down a  few seconds.

I think I could eliminate breakfast dishes altogether by simply pouring my milk directly into my cereal box. It would also save time, as I would only have to prepare breakfast once a week... of course I would need to allot some extra time on Friday for throwing up as I'm not really a fan of mushy cereal.

Or how about storing my dirty towels in the shower instead of a laundry hamper?

Then while I'm in there cleaning  myself I can also wash up yesterdays laundry. I've heard of people brushing their teeth in the shower to save time... I'm sure doing a good load of laundry can't be that much more difficult.

 (Of course, if we're going to be trying to save things, maybe I should invest in some cheaper shampoo before I go using it all to get my whites whiter and my brights brighter.)

Instead of storing DVD's in those flimsy little cases that eventually break, we should just house each DVD in an actual DVD player!! Each movie would be ready to play at the touch of a button. Of course, for the sake of organization and efficiency I would have the remotes to each one labeled.

I could store the remotes in one of those hanging shoe organizer thingys... cause thanks to Pinterest we all know that there are a million things you can do with a shoe organizer besides just hang shoes!

While we're on the subject of Pinterest, lets do some re-organizing there as well... for every photo that gets pinned there should also be a link to someone willing to make the damn craft for you.

It doesn't matter how many cute or useful things you can make out of an old pop bottle, a shoestring and a can of mushroom soup,  most of us are never going to get around to upcycling anything.


We're all too busy trying to get our clean dishes back into the cupboard before it's time to get them dirty again.




No comments:

Post a Comment